Saturday, June 13, 2009

Face Book and more Face Book

One of my Friends of the Library had already set up one account for the Friends of the Library and one account for the Public library. I had not done anything with it up until now because I was not sure what to do. This assignment motivated me to find out what I needed to do in order to work with the Facebook that was already in place. I did have to set up my own personal Facebook profile, which I did. This enabled me to obtain the admin rights from the Friends for my Facebook public library page. Since everything I am learning is being applied to promoting the library, I refer to the library a lot in my individual Facebook area. I personally think that people need to be careful how much information gets put on these profiles. I think too many people think that only thier friends and family see what is posted and do not consider the big picture that anyone who gets on the web could possibly see their information. These web 2.0 tools are beneficial in many ways, when used correctly and cautiously. Don't be afraid, just be aware.

Even more Facebook
I did add some friends to my individual facebook profile, making sure that information about the public library is evident. I am still trying to figure out how to invite friends and fans to the library facebook page itself. It is pretty amazing the number of people that you know who are on facebook. I wrote something about the library on my wall. I became a fan of a few organizations. I can honestly say I now understand how my patrons can spend all day in the library on the computer in these social networking sites. It is very addictive and time consuming. The groups I joined include ALA, TLA, Town of Little Elm, and Toastmasters International. Since the library has numerous clubs and support groups, I am thinking about making pages or groups for them but I need to understand the difference better. I can see why the two can be confusing :-) Now on to the Ning thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment