Thursday, September 24, 2009

Method # 3 Up in the Clouds

This is one of the Web 2.0 tools that I think is information overload. Regarding Google Docs, I think it is a very good tool with lots and lots of capabilities but I would need to spend an entire day to fully experiment and understand. I did use it to obtain feedback from staff on a project. I plan on trying to learn it better but it will have to wait for now. In regards to ZoHo, I liked being able to sign in using my Google account. I had heard this name mentioned before, especially by academic librarians. It looks to be pretty cool as well. I think I might like to try the meeting function sometime. I plan on experimenting more with Google Docs and Zoho as time permits.
In regards to "cloud computing", I do think that it has its place but it does concern me the amount of "personal" information that people freely share over the internet. I am a fairly "open" person but there is a safety factor that should be considered as people share information about themselves. There are many ways that "cloud computing" can be beneficial for libraries. I have recently been reading about "virtual branch libraries" and I think cloud computing could easily be used when putting together a virtual branch or even a "hyperlinked" library but no matter what we do, the most important thing should always be to provide friendly customer service.

No comments:

Post a Comment