Thursday, May 21, 2009

What's Happening @ the Little Elm Public Library




05/26/09

Wynken, Blynken, and Nod; Hey Diddle Diddle, etc. Strange and misspelled words are nothing new. They have been around for years and years in all types of capacities. So when strange and misspelled words are used in technology, it should come as no surprise. More like wonderment as to what the strange misspelled words mean and what purpose they serve in the mysterious world of the web. Take Flickr for example. Without seeing the spelling and only hearing the term, the first things that come to my mind is the title My Friend Flicka (horse) and the porpoises name Flipper. This is due to the words using a lot of the same letters and close sounds along with the fact that I don’t always hear very well. But come to find out it is actually a photo and video sharing site. It is going to be very helpful to organize and share the many library photos we have once I get it totally figured out but in the meantime I have at least one photo on the site. Visit http://www.flickr.com/photos/LittleElmPublicLibrary/ and add a comment to let me know what you think.

I also learned how to do mashups (allows you to have fun with your photos in creative ways) and image generators (makes images say whatever you want). Though these projects were very interesting to learn all the different things you can do, it was also very time consuming and frustrating at times. The easiest thing to do is spelling with flickr (http://metaatem.net/words/). Sometimes the hardest thing is knowing whether or not something worked the way it was supposed to. I have attached a couple of pictures as part of my mashup (pumpkin picture) and image generator (animated picture) project. I hope you enjoy. I am still glad that I am learning all these new social media concepts so that I can make my library news even more exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment